Chapman Athletics: 7/28 Town Hall Recap
Chapman Athletics hosted another Town Hall on July 28 for student-athletes and their families to deliver updates and answer questions about the impact of the cancellation of high-risk sports through the end of the school year.
While the decision regarding high-risk sports has been made, Chapman University is still waiting on guidance from the State of California on how and when we can safely reopen to students, faculty, and staff. Once that guidance is announced, the university can move forward with the CU Safely Back plan.
Key takeaways from the Town Hall:
- Chapman University is moving forward with plans to open the residence halls at a limited capacity. Student-athletes signed up for on-campus housing should contact the Office of Residence Life at email@example.com for information and updates about anticipated move-in and housing assignments.
- Athletic facilities will reopen when the Chapman campus is allowed to reopen for in-person instruction but will remain closed until that point.
- Athletic activities will be allowed either in-person or virtually, in compliance with new NCAA legislation.
- NCAA Division III has approved a blanket waiver for any student-athletes participating in less than half of their sports’ allowable contests in 2020-21.
- Students choosing to take the fall semester off or study at a different institution will be eligible if and when they re-enroll at Chapman in the Spring. However, student-athletes must be enrolled full-time at Chapman to participate in any in-person or virtual team activities.
- All students will be tested prior to returning to Chapman in compliance with the CU Safely Back plan. Chapman Athletics will remain in compliance with testing, social distancing and contact tracing policies set forth in the CU Safely Back plan as its facilities reopen and teams return to on-campus activities.
- All student-athletes must file their medical eligibility paperwork by the August 1 deadline and must be medically cleared to participate in team workouts – virtual or in-person.