Guidance on Quarantine Accomodation
This post was updated on
Faculty Illness or Quarantine
- If faculty suspects they might have been exposed to COVID-19 prior to their scheduled class, they should be tested immediately and wait for the test results before coming to class. If they are going to be late or need to cancel class, they should send notifications to all relevant parties (e.g., Deans, Chairs, students, etc.) just as they do in all other circumstances where they might be late or need to cancel class at the last minute.
- If faculty tests positive for COVID-19, the condition will be treated like any other sickness and whatever arrangement for notifications of class cancellations are customary in the Colleges and Schools should take place. There is no prescribed method of alternate instruction and individual faculty will decide how to offer it. The only obligation is that they offer alternate instruction. This does not mean that faculty who test positive will relinquish in-person instruction for the duration of the term. It simply means that, if faculty test positive, they have a choice over their preferred method of alternate instruction for the duration of their ailment only.
Student Illness or Quarantine
- If a student suspects that they might have been exposed, they should go to Student Health Services and be tested immediately. They should wait for the results at the testing center before coming on campus. Faculty are strongly encouraged to be flexible with students’ absence or lateness due to a student having to wait for a test result.
- If a student tests positive for COVID-19 or needs to quarantine due to being a close contact, they should make sure to get a form from the Student Health Center that excuses them from attending class during the duration of their condition. Students must provide this documentation to their professors, so that the professor knows it is an excused absence.
- If a student tests positive or needs to quarantine due to being a close contact, the student should notify their professor so that the professor can make arrangements for the student to keep up with the class.
- If an unvaccinated student must quarantine after travel, their professor will be automatically notified of an excused absence (without disclosing vaccine status) so the professor can make arrangements for the student to keep up with the class.
- If a student was not notified by the Chapman contact tracing team that they were in close contact with a COVID-19 case, but they feel the need to miss class until they can get tested, the student should contact the Dean of Students for approval to miss class.
- Faculty are under no obligation to accommodate a student who does not have an excused absence form from the Health Center. However, if the student says they received approval from the Dean of Students to miss class, the faculty member can reach out to the Dean of Students for confirmation and consider it an excused absence if confirmation is received.
Staff Quarantine after Travel
- We do not anticipate high numbers of staff who will need to quarantine. However, if a health care professional makes that recommendation, University will honor that request for the wellbeing of the individual and the Chapman community.
- In the event that a staff member is asked to quarantine, supervisors will be notified. We encourage supervisors to allow the individual to work remotely if at all possible. If a supervisor cannot assign remote work, the time off will be excused and paid.
- When and if possible, we ask staff to coordinate with their supervisors prior to travel to assist with needed accommodations.