Leatherby Libraries Streaming Video Guidelines
The library has access to many resources for streaming films, the two largest and most popular being Kanopy and Swank Digital Campus. Both provide access to a mixture of mainstream and educational films as well as documentaries on a wide variety of subjects.
Within Kanopy, access is currently unrestricted to films from four suppliers: The Criterion Collection, Kino Lorber, Psychotherapy.net, and The Great Courses. This list of unrestricted suppliers is subject to change depending on budgetary and other factors, but users may check which suppliers are unrestricted by looking at the entry for Kanopy in the Database A-Z list.
Within Swank, we have access to a collection of the top 1,000 most-requested films on the platform, a list of which is viewable here. This list is recalculated early each calendar year. The current list will remain in effect through December 2020, but may change slightly in early 2021 as the list of most-requested films on the platform is reevaluated by Swank.
For both platforms, faculty may create accounts and request additional films from outside of the unrestricted suppliers (in Kanopy) or top 1,000 list (in Swank). Approved requests are then available for one year before they must be requested again.
- To request films in Kanopy, faculty may create an account, go to www.kanopy.com/search, look up the film they are seeking, and fill out the request form on the film’s entry.
- To request films in Swank, faculty must create an instructor account, look up the film they are seeking, and fill out the request form on the film’s entry. An instructional video is available here.
- In order to serve the greatest number of faculty and courses at Chapman University, we must initiate some limits to the number of films each faculty member can request each semester:
- Dodge faculty may request up to 5 films each semester.
- Non-Dodge faculty teaching a film-subject course may request 4 films each semester.
- All other faculty may request 2 films per semester.
This only applies to titles outside of the four unrestricted suppliers in Kanopy or the top 1,000 list in Swank. Faculty do not need to submit requests for films in either of those categories.
Exception: For faculty requesting additional films beyond this allowance, exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case-basis and will require the approval from the Dean of the faculty member’s School or College and the approval of the Interim Dean of the Leatherby Libraries.
We anticipate that this policy will be in place for the entirety of academic year 2020-2021, but may be adjusted as necessary and all requests will be contingent on funding. This is a temporary measure and normal operations may be reinstated as appropriate when possible.
Please contact the Coordinator of Scholarly Communications & Electronic Resources, Kristin Laughtin-Dunker, at email@example.com with any questions.