Most Classes Return to Virtual Instruction Nov. 17
As we anticipated, Gov. Newsom announced today that Orange County has moved back to the PURPLE tier on the 4-tier county risk level. This is the highest risk level identified in California, and comes with additional restrictions to slow the spread of COVID-19 across the state. While this came slightly earlier than predicted, we have prepared for this and have details regarding campus operations.
Effective November 17,2020:
- Orange and Rinker campuses will return to the limited in-person instruction and limited onsite presence that was in place prior to October. Academic deans are asked to communicate with the faculty, students and staff for those programs that remain in-person including the health professional programs at the Rinker campus.
- Chapman housing remains open with the limited population currently residing in The K Residence Hall and Chapman Grand.
- For those classes that have recently begun in-person instruction, those will revert to virtual-only beginning November 17. Faculty should immediately communicate with students on the status of their courses.
- All faculty remain designated as essential staff, meaning faculty can access on-campus facilities and offices if needed, but this is not required.
- Essential staff and administrators: staff and administrators who were deemed “essential” in March 2020 will remain on campus with no change. These staff and administrators are required to continue working onsite. Supervisors should communicate with their staff immediately if staff are expected to remain on campus.
- Recalled staff and administrators: almost all of the staff and administrators recently recalled to campus (beginning Oct. 5, 2020, to present) must resume remote work beginning tomorrow. Do not make assumptions, please coordinate with your supervisor to determine whether you will remain onsite or switch to remote work.
- As a safety precaution, all external doors will default to locked status. Keycard access will be required to gain access to your respective buildings.
- Starbucks and the University Agora Gift Shop on the Orange campus will close at the end of business today and remain closed for the remainder of the semester. The Hilbert Museum of California Art will also close to visitors until further notice.
In light of the recent surge of cases across California, Orange County is one of 41 counties that moved to the PURPLE tier today. Gov. Newsom has also instituted new protocols including: tier assignments may occur any day of the week and may occur more than once a week when the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) determines that the most recent reliable data indicate that immediate action is needed to address COVID-19 transmission in a county, also counties may be moved back more than one tier if CDPH determines that the data supports more intensive intervention. Full details on the Blueprint are available in CDPH’s Blueprint framework.
To limit the spread in our own community, please:
- Remain diligent in following our CU Safety Back protocols. Wear face covering, wash your hands, avoid social gatherings and maintain distance from others whenever possible.
- Follow our testing protocol, and request a test if you suspect you’ve been exposed to COVID-19. Follow our protocols if you have been exposed.
A vaccine is anticipated as early as March or April.
We are fortunate that progress is being made on vaccines showing excellent signs of success. We are also fortunate that Chapman School of Pharmacy Professor & Chair of the Department of Pharmacy Practice Jeff Goad is a member of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) COVID-19 Vaccine Drafting Guidelines Workgroup. The Workgroup’s charge is to draft guidelines for the prioritization of initial supplies of COVID-19 vaccines on behalf of the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Advisory Committee. This, along with our close working relationship with state and local health agencies is giving us insight into the progress and distribution planning for the upcoming vaccine and I’ll keep you informed as this moves forward.