Policy on COVID-19 Testing Following Travel and Breaks
For the purposes of this policy, persons who “travel” are defined as those leaving or entering the state of California by any mode of transportation (car, air, etc.).
When returning from scheduled breaks or travel out of state, all unvaccinated and vaccinated Chapman community members (students, faculty, staff) who travel during these breaks must be tested as follows:
- UNVACCINATED community members must test twice weekly including within 3-5 days after return from travel and must quarantine for 7 days following the conclusion of their travel.
- VACCINATED and those who have had COVID in the past 90 days who traveled must be tested within 3-5 days following the conclusion of their travel but may be on campus prior to testing as fully vaccinated people do not quarantine.
Chapman will continue to rely on the CDC’s advice to travelers:
- Only those who are fully vaccinated should consider domestic or international travel.
- Travelers should wear masks when using commercial modes of transportation.
- Travelers should self-monitor for symptoms during and after domestic or international travel.
- Travelers should avoid international destinations rated levels 3 or 4.
Please take note:
- This policy requires all community members who traveled to voluntarily self-report and comply.
- To assist with compliance, the Daily Health Screening questionnaire will be modified to ask if faculty, staff or students have traveled out-of-state, will receive follow up communication.
- Chapman’s Student Health Center will increase both testing and tracing capacity to high levels prior to all post-break periods. A second location for testing will be open in Orange during the period immediately following breaks and additional days will be added at Rinker.
- Do NOT travel if you were exposed to COVID-19, you are sick, you test positive for COVID-19, or you are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test. Learn when it is safe for you to travel. Don’t travel with someone who is sick.
Chapman also requires the following Residential Student Testing Plan for Breaks:
Health Center and Testing Center will be open extended hours for testing and illness support during the breaks. Check website for actual hours.
- If a student travels out-of-state they must take a COVID test during the week after the break (November 29-December 3) regardless of vaccination status.
Winter Break to Interterm
- If a student travels out-of-state, they must be tested within a week of returning to Chapman housing regardless of vaccination status.
- If a student returns from out-of-state travel at some other point throughout Interterm, they must be tested as soon as possible during regular testing hours regardless of vaccination status.
Interterm to Spring Semester
- If a student travels out-of-state, they must take a COVID test during the week after the break (January 31-February 4, 2022) regardless of vaccination status.
Spring Break (tentative until closer to Spring Break to gauge pandemic conditions)
- If a student travels out-of-state, they must take a COVID test during the week after the break (March 28-April 1, 2022) regardless of vaccination status.