Faculty Guidelines for Positive COVID-19 Cases
Students who report a positive COVID-19 test will be supported by Chapman’s Contact Tracing Team. Advise the student to:
- Isolate until they receive further guidance from a contact tracer.
- Submit their Daily Health Screening (DHS).
- Notify contact tracing at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit any off-site COVID-19 test
Faculty are strongly encouraged to be flexible with students’ absences or lateness due to a student having to wait for a test result.
- If a student tests positive for COVID-19, they should make sure to get a form from the Student Health Center that excuses them from attending class during the duration of their condition. Students must provide this documentation to their professors so that the professor knows it is an excused absence.
- If a student tests positive, the student should notify their professor so that the professor can make arrangements for the student to keep up with the class.
- If a student was not notified by the Chapman contact tracing team that they were in close contact with a COVID-19 case, but they feel the need to miss class until they can get tested, the student should contact the Dean of Students for approval to miss class.
- Faculty are under no obligation to accommodate a student who does not have an excused absence form from the Health Center. However, if the student says they received approval from the Dean of Students to miss class, the faculty member can reach out to the Dean of Students for confirmation and consider it an excused absence if confirmation is received.